Book Review| Endgame

November 04, 2014



Here's a little review for y'all to read. Endgame; The Calling by James Frey and Nils Johnson-Shelton. 




When I first began to read this book, I totally thought it would just be like the hunger games, but the further in I read, I realised that the two are quite different. Saying that, any Hunger Games lovers out there will become equally addicted to this book. 

We are first given the chance to follow the plot through the different point of views of each player-12 of them. BUT this did make me personally, hard to follow some aspects of what was going on, because of all the different storylines you have to keep up with. But if you're a person who likes books that aren't just straight forward to read then this would appeal to you, while still being an easy read. 

The book begins fairly quickly with destruction and what's going on (each player having to try and work out the puzzle). It does do a great job of getting to know each character in depth as the novel went on. The book sets you up to root for certain characters and not so much with others (personally I found Sarah very annoying), but you can't help but sympathise with the others you're not totally drawn too. 

The characters have trained their WHOLE life for endgame, and they know it's their time- they must play.

The playing of endgame begins by each character travelling to one part of the world and a type of alien gives them each their own set of clues. First off they have to find the earth key which could be ANYWHERE in the WORLD. This book has many twists and is actually quite dark and not really like anything I would normally pick up. BUT one thing I did find incredibly confusing was when they went into their own language and began to talk...I had no idea what was going on (for example "Ahaman jeje" ??). But it's something new that I haven't read anything like before. Also, there was a chance for the reader to take part in clues and try and win some "gold". Honestly, I didn't really get into this but it's a fun new aspect for those of you who like to do those things. 

One thing I didn't really expect was the amount of blood and gore in the book! And the novel progresses into the fabulous finale- with LOTS of different surprises. 

I found this book a fairly easy to get through because the sentences were short and rather simplistic. It may not be added to my top 10 books of all time, but it definitely was a different read and really enjoyable. 

So I'd recommend getting your hands on a copy of this book and let me know if you do! And if you do read it, let me know what you thought- who was your favourite character? 

Love, 
Emily 
Xxx

Bloglovin
*this book was given to me in advance in return for a review, it was published on October 7th so available for you to get now!*


You Might Also Like

0 comments