Being a Tourist in Your Own City

January 16, 2017

This week I was paid a visit by a couple of girls who I met on my dig over summer, where we quickly became close friends. They decided to make the journey over Seattle and Dublin to visit me in cold and snowy Scotland for a couple of days. As term hadn't quite started for me, I used this opportunity for as a distraction from the building pile of stress surrounding my dissertation, and became tour guide for the few days. 

It's times like this that I love, because I get to re-explore my city, and see it through the eyes of a tourist. There's no denying it - it's exhausting. You've got to be constantly switched on, figuring out what place to hit next, wondering where to eat and panicking that your friends are enjoying everything too. But its so worth it. 




Ever find yourself stuck in a small fraction of your city? For me, I literally live in three streets. My flat lies slap bang in the middle, with university at one street to the right, and the shops to the left. And conveniently a couple of pubs straight across the road. Its my safe little bubble. And I find myself bored, and stuck in that bubble. So it's when you've got friends here that you've got to take a pin out, burst that bubble and fully explore again. I explored so much when I was in first year and had the spare time to get out and about. So this week, I got revisit all the old favourites and show them off

Nothing makes you appreciate your town or city more than taking a look at it through fresh eyes. 

Edinburgh is a city I've loved over these last years of living here. There's history, there's nature, there's culture and art. Endless things that are taken for granted, and often over looked. I've fallen in love with my city again. 



Taking a step back and considering the things that really make this city something different makes you re-appreciate it. 

I got to climb Arthur's seat, visit the National Museum as well as the museum of Edinburgh, walk the Royal Mile, find all the Harry Potter references, explore all of Edinburgh's independent shops, and eat at so many great cafes and restaurants. All in a couple of days. Who says snow, rain and wind stops you from having fun?



I rediscovered old loves, and found new ones. I even joined a pub crawl where I got to drink the night away in bars that I'd never been to before. It just goes to show that there are always new things to find when you put yourself out there. Put yourself in a new situation, escape that bubble. 

Who says a stay-cation is a bad thing? There's always new things to find, and fall in love with. I've opened my eyes to how great this city is. I've decided to write a bucket list of all the things that I want I can't name many cities that have a volcano at the heart of it! It makes me excited to go back home. Revisit my old haunts, and fall in love with Aberdeen once again. 

It's time to re-fall in love. What makes you love your city? Have you ever considered becoming a tourist in your own city? Or how about being a tour guide, planning out days for your friends? Instead of following the same routes and routines, why not spice things up a little. Re-discover what made you love your city in the first place. 

Love, 
Emily
xxx

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Wonderful post! Exploring my home is one of my most favourite things to do :)

    Renee | Life After Lux

    ReplyDelete